HB2355: Modeling and Simulation Advisory Council; created.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of Virginia:
§ 2.2-2698. Modeling and Simulation Advisory Council; purpose; membership; chairman.
A. The Modeling and Simulation Advisory Council (the MSAC) is established as an advisory council within the meaning of § 2.2-2100 in the executive branch of state government. The purpose of the Council shall be to advise the Governor on policy and funding priorities to promote the modeling and simulation industry in the Commonwealth.
B. The MSAC shall consist of 13 members as follows: three legislative members of the House of Delegates and two citizen representatives of the modeling and simulation industry to be appointed by the Speaker of the House of Delegates; one legislative member of the Senate and one citizen representative of the modeling and simulation industry to be appointed by the Senate Committee on Rules; three citizen representatives of the modeling and simulation industry to be appointed by the Governor; the Secretary of Technology and the Secretary of Commerce and Trade or their designees; and the Executive Director of the Virginia Modeling, Analysis and Simulation Center. Ex officio members shall serve terms coincident with their terms of office. Other members shall be appointed for a term of two years and shall be eligible for reappointment.
C. The Council shall elect a chairman and a vice-chairman annually from among its membership. A majority of the members shall constitute a quorum. The Council shall meet semiannually and at such other times as may be called by the chairman or a majority of the Council.
§ 2.2-2699. Powers and duties of the Council.
The Council shall have the power and duty to:
1. Advise the Governor on funding priorities for modeling and simulation programs at the Commonwealth's institutions of higher education.
2. Develop policy initiatives and advise the Governor on strategies for promoting the modeling and simulation industry in the Commonwealth.
3. Advise the Virginia Economic Development Partnership regarding (i) attracting new modeling and simulation businesses to the Commonwealth and (ii) assisting the development of the Commonwealth's existing modeling and simulation industry.
4. Develop recommendations in conjunction with the Virginia Economic Development Partnership on how to market the Commonwealth's modeling and simulation capabilities to all businesses and industries, especially those not fully utilizing modeling and simulation applications.
5. Develop recommendations that will assist in making Virginia a national leader in the modeling and simulation industry.