Carbon monoxide detectors; Board of Housing & Community Development to establish requirements. (SB853)

Introduced By

Sen. John Edwards (D-Roanoke)

Progress

Introduced
Passed Committee
Passed House
Passed Senate
Signed by Governor
Became Law

Description

Carbon monoxide detectors in certain buildings. Provides that any locality may, by ordinance, require carbon monoxide alarms be installed in (i) any building containing one or more dwelling units, (ii) any hotel or motel regularly used, offered for, or intended to be used to provide overnight sleeping accommodations, and (iii) any rooming house regularly used, offered for, or intended to be used to provide overnight sleeping accommodations when such structures or buildings contain dwelling units that have an attached garage or carport or are serviced by fuel-fired appliances. Amends § 15.2-922, of the Code of Virginia. Read the Bill »

Outcome

Bill Has Failed

History

  • 12/29/2008 Prefiled and ordered printed; offered 01/14/09
  • 12/29/2008 Prefiled and ordered printed; offered 01/14/09 091408228
  • 12/29/2008 Referred to Committee on Local Government
  • 02/03/2009 Reported from Local Government with substitute (15-Y 0-N) (see vote tally)
  • 02/04/2009 Committee substitute printed 092080228-S1
  • 02/05/2009 Constitutional reading dispensed (39-Y 0-N) (see vote tally)
  • 02/06/2009 Read second time
  • 02/06/2009 Reading of substitute waived
  • 02/06/2009 Committee substitute agreed to 092080228-S1
  • 02/06/2009 Engrossed by Senate - committee substitute SB853S1
  • 02/09/2009 Read third time and passed Senate (40-Y 0-N) (see vote tally)
  • 02/13/2009 Placed on Calendar
  • 02/13/2009 Read first time
  • 02/13/2009 Referred to Committee on General Laws
  • 02/17/2009 Impact statement from DPB (SB853S1)
  • 02/19/2009 Referred from General Laws
  • 02/19/2009 Referred to Committee on Appropriations
  • 02/20/2009 Assigned App. sub: Economic Development, Agriculture and Natural Resources(Cox)
  • 02/20/2009 Subcommittee recommends laying on the table
  • 02/28/2009 Left in Appropriations

Comments

chris neikirk writes:

I have a friend whose whole family (2 adults, 2 children ages 10 & 8) died of accidental carbon monoxide poisoning while renting a vacation home in Colorado. They went to sleep one night and never woke up. The accident could have easily been prevented had the house had a carbon monoxide detector. (For a summary of this tragic story, please click here: http://abcnews.go.com/US/Story?id=6376209&page=1)

Most detectors cost under $75 - a cost that seems unbelievably nominal considering the consequences of not having one.