SJ5069: Commending the Arlington Historical Society on the occasion of its 50th anniversary.

SENATE JOINT RESOLUTION NO. 5069
Offered September 27, 2006
Commending the Arlington Historical Society on the occasion of its 50th anniversary.
Patrons-- Whipple and Ticer; Delegates: Brink, Ebbin, Eisenberg and Englin

WHEREAS,  Arlington County, an urban area of about 26 square miles located directly across the Potomac River from Washington, D.C., was home to American Indian communities for more than 10,000 years and has been associated with major events in Virginia history for almost 400 years; and

WHEREAS, the Arlington Historical Society was established on September 14, 1956, for literary and educational purposes that support research, collection, preservation, discovery, restoration, and dissemination of the local history of Arlington County; and

WHEREAS, the Arlington Historical Society has grown from 88 charter members in 1956 to over 500 members during the 50-year period; and

WHEREAS, the Hume School, the oldest school building in Arlington County, was built in 1891 and named for Frank Hume, who gave the property for the school, which is designated a Virginia Historical Landmark on the National Register of Historic Sites in America; and

WHEREAS, the Arlington Historical Society extensively renovated the Hume School building in the early 1960s and reopened it as the Arlington Historical Museum to provide the public the opportunity to view artifacts, tour special commemorative exhibits, and learn about events and places in Arlington County’s history; and

WHEREAS, the Ball-Sellers House, a one-room log cabin with a loft built in the mid 18th century by yeoman farmer John Ball, is a rare example of the dwelling of the ordinary person during the 1700s in Arlington and is on the Virginia Historical Landmarks Register and on the National Register of Historic Sites in America; and

WHEREAS, the Ball-Sellers House, which is the oldest house in Arlington County and was used as a home, a summer cottage, and a school over the years, was donated by the last owner, Marian Rhinehart Sellers, to the Arlington Historical Society in 1975, and the Arlington Historical Society has preserved the house and opened it to the public for tours; and

WHEREAS, the Arlington Historical Society annually publishes the Arlington Historical Magazine and organizes the Arlington Reunion television series with the cooperative efforts of other organizations; now, therefore, be it

RESOLVED by the Senate, the House of Delegates concurring, That the General Assembly commend and congratulate the Arlington Historical Society for its 50 years of service to the preservation and dissemination of the local history of Arlington County; and, be it

RESOLVED FURTHER, That the Clerk of the Senate prepare a copy of this resolution for presentation to the members of the Arlington Historical Society at the 50th Anniversary Celebration of the Society’s founding on September 29, 2006.