SB1023: General Services, Department of; purchase of electricity generated from renewable energy sources.

SENATE BILL NO. 1023
Offered January 10, 2007
Prefiled January 9, 2007
A BILL to amend the Code of Virginia by adding a section numbered 2.2-1131.2, relating to the Department of General Services; Division of Engineering and Buildings; purchase of electricity generated from renewable energy sources.
Patron-- Whipple

Referred to Committee on General Laws and Technology

Be it enacted by the General Assembly of Virginia:

1. That the Code of Virginia is amended by adding a section numbered 2.2-1131.2 as follows:

§ 2.2-1131.2. Purchase of electricity from renewable sources.

The Division shall require that at least 15 percent of the total electricity purchased by state-owned buildings be electricity generated from renewable energy sources. The required purchase provision shall be phased in under the following schedule: (i) by July 1, 2010, 5 percent of total electricity purchased, (ii) by July 1, 2015, 10 percent of total electricity purchased, and (iii) by July 1, 2020, 15 percent of total electricity purchased.

As used in this section, "renewable energy" means energy derived from sunlight, wind, falling water, sustainable biomass, energy from waste, wave motion, tides, and geothermal power and does not include energy derived from coal, oil, natural gas, or nuclear power.