HJ235: Commending TWIG Junior Auxiliary of Inova Alexandria Hospital on the occasion of its 75th anniver.

HOUSE JOINT RESOLUTION NO. 235
Offered January 16, 2008
Commending TWIG Junior Auxiliary of Inova Alexandria Hospital on the occasion of its 75th anniversary.
Patrons-- Moran, Ebbin and Englin

WHEREAS, TWIG Junior Auxiliary of the Alexandria Hospital will celebrate its 75th anniversary in 2008; and

WHEREAS, in 1933, twenty-four young women gathered at the home of Mrs. Julian T. Burke to form the Junior Auxiliary of the Alexandria Hospital; and

WHEREAS, the group chose the name TWIG from a contest entry by Nellie Sommers Blackwell, which described the new organization as a small “branch of the tree” that represents Alexandria Hospital; and 

WHEREAS, TWIG Junior Auxiliary of Inova Alexandria Hospital has served as a nonprofit organization of women founded and dedicated to providing financial support and volunteer service to the hospital and community; and

WHEREAS, TWIG Junior Auxiliary has directly funded over $2 million in projects at Inova Alexandria Hospital, contributing funds to the establishment of the TWIG Pavilion Intravenial Stroke Unit, the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, and the Delivery Nursing Center; and

WHEREAS, TWIG Junior Auxiliary of Inova Alexandria Hospital also operates the popular Thrift Shop, hosts the Historic Alexandria Homes Tour, and partners with Antiques in Alexandria to raise funds for the Twig Pavilion, as well as numerous other invaluable services for the Alexandria community; now, therefore, be it

RESOLVED by the House of Delegates, the Senate concurring, That the General Assembly commend and congratulate TWIG Junior Auxiliary of Inova Alexandria Hospital on the occasion of its illustrious 75th anniversary; and, be it

RESOLVED FURTHER, That the Clerk of the House of Delegates prepare a copy of this resolution for presentation to TWIG Junior Auxiliary as an expression of the General Assembly’s gratitude to the outstanding organization for its commitment to Inova Alexandria Hospital and the citizens of Alexandria.