Statewide and regional transportation funding. (SB6009)

Introduced By

Sen. Dick Saslaw (D-Springfield)

Progress

Introduced
Passed Committee
Passed House
Passed Senate
Signed by Governor
Became Law

Description

Statewide and regional transportation funding. Establishes new taxes and increases the rates of certain existing taxes with the revenues generated to be used for the funding of transportation on a statewide and regional basis. The bill would provide funds for mass transit and road and highway maintenance statewide by (i) increasing the state motor fuels tax rate by $0.06 per gallon in increments of $0.01 per gallon in each of the next six fiscal years, (ii) increasing the state retail sales and use tax by one-quarter of one percent, and (iii) increasing the motor vehicle sales and use tax by one-half of one percent. These increases in taxes would be imposed throughout the Commonwealth. The bill also would provide funds to be used for transportation purposes in the counties and cities embraced by the Northern Virginia Transportation Authority by (i) establishing an additional one-half of one percent state retail sales and use tax to be imposed in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun, and Prince William and the Cities of Alexandria, Fairfax, Falls Church, Manassas, and Manassas Park; (ii) establishing a $5 per day transient occupancy tax to be imposed in such counties and cities; and (iii) increasing the grantors tax in such counties and cities by $0.40 per $100 of value. The revenues collected under the bill for mass transit and road and highway maintenance would be deposited into the Supplemental Highway Maintenance and Mass Transit Fund. Each year 25 percent of the moneys deposited into the Fund would be distributed to the Commonwealth Mass Transit Fund to be used for mass transit purposes. The remaining 75 percent of such moneys would be used for road and highway maintenance in the construction district in which such moneys were generated or attributable, provided that the Bristol construction district would receive a proportionate share that is not less than such construction districts proportion of the total funds allocated statewide for road and highway maintenance in the Commonwealths fiscal year ending June 30, 2008. The revenues from the taxes that would be imposed in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun, and Prince William and the Cities of Alexandria, Fairfax, Falls Church, Manassas, and Manassas Park would be administered by the Northern Virginia Transportation Authority for transportation purposes in such counties and cities. All taxes under the bill would be taxes of the Commonwealth.. The bill would repeal the authorization of certain counties and cities in Northern Virginia to impose a local income tax. Read the Bill »

Status

06/23/2008: Awaiting a Vote in the Finance and Appropriations Committee

History

DateAction
06/23/2008Presented and ordered printed 082995324
06/23/2008Referred to Committee on Transportation