Claims; Teddy Pierries Thompson. (HB2050)

Introduced By

Del. Tom Gear (R-Hampton)

Progress

Introduced
Passed Committee
Passed House
Passed Senate
Signed by Governor
Became Law

Description

Claims; Teddy Pierries Thompson. Provides relief to Teddy Pierries Thompson, who was incarcerated from May 8, 2000, to September 10, 2007. His conviction was vacated on September 10, 2007. The compensation award is in an amount equal to 90 percent of the Virginia per capita personal income as reported by the Bureau of Economic Analysis of the United States Department of Commerce for each year of Thompson's incarceration. The payment of the award will be in an initial lump sum equal to 20 percent of the total compensation award to be paid on August 1, 2009, and the remaining 80 percent to purchase an annuity to be paid out in monthly payments over 25 years commencing August 1, 2010. In addition, the bill provides for Thompson to receive a transition assistance grant of $15,000 to be paid from the Criminal Fund and entitles him to receive reimbursement up to $10,000 for tuition for career and technical training within the Virginia community college system. Read the Bill »

Outcome

Bill Has Passed

History

DateAction
01/13/2009Committee
01/13/2009Prefiled and ordered printed; offered 01/14/09 091315512
01/13/2009Referred to Committee on Appropriations
01/20/2009Assigned App. sub: Technology Oversight & Government Activities (Landes)
01/27/2009Subcommittee recommends reporting with amendment(s)
01/28/2009Reported from Appropriations with substitute (23-Y 0-N) (see vote tally)
01/28/2009Committee substitute printed 092418512-H1
01/30/2009Read first time
02/02/2009Read second time
02/02/2009Committee substitute agreed to 092418512-H1
02/02/2009Engrossed by House - committee substitute HB2050H1
02/03/2009Read third time and passed House BLOCK VOTE (98-Y 0-N)
02/03/2009VOTE: BLOCK VOTE PASSAGE (98-Y 0-N) (see vote tally)
02/04/2009Constitutional reading dispensed
02/04/2009Referred to Committee on Finance
02/17/2009Reported from Finance (16-Y 0-N) (see vote tally)
02/18/2009Constitutional reading dispensed (40-Y 0-N) (see vote tally)
02/19/2009Read third time
02/19/2009Passed Senate (40-Y 0-N) (see vote tally)
02/24/2009Enrolled
02/24/2009Bill text as passed House and Senate (HB2050ER)
02/25/2009Signed by Speaker
02/27/2009Signed by President
03/27/2009G Approved by Governor-Chapter 360 (effective 7/1/09)
03/27/2009G Acts of Assembly Chapter text (CHAP0360)