HJ363: Commending Carson United Methodist Church on the occasion of its 100th anniversary.


HOUSE JOINT RESOLUTION NO. 363
Commending Carson United Methodist Church on the occasion of its 100th anniversary.

?

Agreed to by the House of Delegates, March 5, 2010
Agreed to by the Senate, March 10, 2010

?

WHEREAS, Carson United Methodist Church and its faithful congregation celebrate 100 years of service to the Lord and the community of Carson in Dinwiddie County in 2010; and

WHEREAS, on May 16, 1910, Governor William Hodges Mann spoke as the cornerstone for present-day Carson United Methodist Church was laid by the Masons of Edwards Lodge No. 30 on a parcel of land purchased by founder Peter Bernard Halligan; later, William Thomas Scarborough gave another parcel of land to enlarge the grounds; and

WHEREAS, in 1911 the Carson Methodist Episcopal Church South Sunday School was organized and later that spring the church was dedicated with 14 members as one of several churches that became known as the East Dinwiddie Charge; and

WHEREAS, in 1925 a new parsonage was built at Carson and in 1927, the Carson Church generously shared the use of its building with Carson High School, which had been completely destroyed by fire; and

WHEREAS, in 1939 the church changed its name from the Carson Methodist Episcopal Church South to Carson Methodist Church; and

WHEREAS, in 1968 the Evangelical United Brethren Church joined with the Methodist Church and took on the new name of the United Methodist Church; and

WHEREAS, after years of deliberation, once the decision was made not to consolidate the churches of the East Dinwiddie Charge, Rowanta Church merged with the Carson Church and in 1970, Smith Grove Church and Carson Church became a two-point charge with members from three other local churches joining; and

WHEREAS, in 1977 Carson United Methodist Church stepped out in faith and became a station church with 140 members under the Reverend Glen C. Evans, Jr., as the church?s first full-time pastor; and

WHEREAS, over the years, the church building and grounds have had numerous improvements while generosity and dedication has continued to flourish among its members; and

WHEREAS, Carson United Methodist Church is known for its numerous outreach ministries that focus on the growth and well-being of the community and its citizens in need; and

WHEREAS, Carson United Methodist Church provides assistance to Martha for the Homeless, Tri-Cities Workcamp, Jackson-Feild Homes for Girls, Patrick-Henry Boys and Girls Plantation, United Methodist Committee on Relief, and United Methodist Family Services; and

WHEREAS, Carson United Methodist Church has been served throughout its 100-year history by immensely dedicated and able pastors and lay staff, who have provided visionary leadership, devout worship, meaningful Christian education, and enthusiastic ministry and community missions; and

WHEREAS, throughout its long history, Carson United Methodist Church has provided its devoted congregation, its neighbors, and the community with a special place to worship, to help others, and to grow in faith and service; now, therefore, be it

RESOLVED by the House of Delegates, the Senate concurring, That the General Assembly commend Carson United Methodist Church on the occasion of its 100th anniversary; and, be it

RESOLVED FURTHER, That the Clerk of the House of Delegates prepare a copy of this resolution for presentation to Pastor Russell Williams of Carson United Methodist Church as an expression of the General Assembly?s congratulations and best wishes for future success in its ministries.

HOUSE JOINT RESOLUTION NO. 363
Offered February 26, 2010
Commending Carson United Methodist Church on the occasion of its 100th anniversary.
Patron-- Ingram

WHEREAS, Carson United Methodist Church and its faithful congregation celebrate 100 years of service to the Lord and the community of Carson in Dinwiddie County in 2010; and

WHEREAS, on May 16, 1910, Governor William Hodges Mann spoke as the cornerstone for present-day Carson United Methodist Church was laid by the Masons of Edwards Lodge No. 30 on a parcel of land purchased by founder Peter Bernard Halligan; later, William Thomas Scarborough gave another parcel of land to enlarge the grounds; and

WHEREAS, in 1911, the Carson Methodist Episcopal Church South Sunday School was organized and later that spring the church was dedicated with 14 members as one of several churches that became known as the East Dinwiddie Charge; and

WHEREAS, in 1925, a new parsonage was built at Carson and in 1927, the Carson Church generously shared the use of its building with Carson High School, which had been completely destroyed by fire; and

WHEREAS, in 1939, the church changed its name from the Carson Methodist Episcopal Church South to Carson Methodist Church; and

WHEREAS, in 1968, the Evangelical United Brethren Church joined with the Methodist Church and took on the new name of the United Methodist Church; and

WHEREAS, after years of deliberation, once the decision was made to not consolidate the churches of the East Dinwiddie Charge, Rowanta Church merged with the Carson Church and in 1970, Smith Grove Church and Carson Church became a two-point charge with members from three other local churches joining; and

WHEREAS, in 1977, Carson United Methodist Church stepped out in faith and became a station church with 140 members under the Reverend Glen C. Evans, Jr., as the church?s first full-time pastor; and

WHEREAS, over the years, the church building and grounds have had numerous improvements while generosity and dedication has continued to flourish among its members; and

WHEREAS, Carson United Methodist Church is known for its numerous outreach ministries that focus on the growth and well-being of the community and its citizens in need; and

WHEREAS, Carson United Methodist Church provides assistance to Martha for the Homeless, Tri-Cities Workcamp, Jackson-Feild Homes for Girls, Patrick-Henry Boys and Girls Plantation, United Methodist Committee on Relief, and United Methodist Family Services; and

WHEREAS, Carson United Methodist Church has been served throughout its 100-year history by immensely dedicated and able pastors and lay staff, who have provided visionary leadership, devout worship, meaningful Christian education, and enthusiastic ministry and community missions; and

WHEREAS, throughout its long history, Carson United Methodist Church has provided its devoted congregation, its neighbors, and the community with a special place to worship, to help others, and to grow in faith and service; now, therefore, be it

RESOLVED by the House of Delegates, the Senate concurring, That the General Assembly commend Carson United Methodist Church on the occasion of its 100th anniversary; and, be it

RESOLVED FURTHER, That the Clerk of the House of Delegates prepare a copy of this resolution for presentation to Pastor Russell Williams of Carson United Methodist Church as an expression of the General Assembly?s congratulations and best wishes for future success in its ministries.