HJ438: Commending the Episcopal Church of the Advent on the occasion of its 50th anniversary.


HOUSE JOINT RESOLUTION NO. 438
Commending the Episcopal Church of the Advent on the occasion of its 50th anniversary.

?

Agreed to by the House of Delegates, March 10, 2010
Agreed to by the Senate, March 12, 2010

?

WHEREAS, the Episcopal Church of the Advent and its faithful congregation celebrate 50 years of service to the Lord and to the Norfolk community at its present location on September 19, 2010; and

WHEREAS, the Episcopal Church of the Advent?s first service was held on July 4, 1919, in the old post office on First View Street in the Ocean View section of Norfolk; and

WHEREAS, in 1921 the first church was built on A View Avenue with the Reverend Holbrook serving as rector in 1922; and

WHEREAS, the Episcopal Church of the Advent?s founders were R. Edward Thompson, H. Charlton Lumsden, William H. Thompson, John M. Douthat, Ernest C. Wetzel, Clifford S. Philips, Hillary L. Davis, David Tompkinson, Archie W. Lawrence, Michael Sakakini, and Alfred Russell Williamson; and

WHEREAS, in 1945 the Episcopal Church of the Advent purchased the clubhouse of the old Pinewell Golf Course, and the congregation held services there for 15 years; and

WHEREAS, in 1960 the Episcopal Church of the Advent constructed a new church building at Sherwood Place that was attached to the clubhouse structure, which then became the new Parish Hall; and

WHEREAS, the Episcopal Church of the Advent is known for its numerous excellent outreach ministries that focus on the growth and well-being of the community and its citizens in need; and

WHEREAS, the Episcopal Church of the Advent and its members serve the people of Ocean View, assisting with the food pantry, maintaining free lunch programs for low-income children, volunteering as tutors in the Lighthouse Reader program, sponsoring Boy Scout and Cub Scout troops, and providing space for community meetings such as Alcoholics Anonymous; and

WHEREAS, throughout its long history, the Episcopal Church of the Advent has provided its devoted congregation, its neighbors, and the community with a special place to worship, to help others, and to grow in faith and service; now, therefore, be it

RESOLVED by the House of Delegates, the Senate concurring, That the General Assembly hereby commend the Episcopal Church of the Advent on the occasion of its 50th anniversary in its present location in Ocean View; and, be it

RESOLVED FURTHER, That the Clerk of the House of Delegates prepare a copy of this resolution for presentation to the Reverend Richard W. Budd of the Episcopal Church of the Advent as an expression of the General Assembly's congratulations and best wishes for future success in the church's many ministries.

HOUSE JOINT RESOLUTION NO. 438
Offered March 8, 2010
Commending the Episcopal Church of the Advent on the occasion of its 50th anniversary.
Patron-- Miller, P.J.

WHEREAS, the Episcopal Church of the Advent and its faithful congregation celebrate 50 years of service to the Lord and to the Norfolk community at its present location on September 19, 2010; and

WHEREAS, the Episcopal Church of the Advent?s first service was held on July 4, 1919, in the old post office on First View Street in the Ocean View section of Norfolk; and

WHEREAS, in 1921, the first church was built on A View Avenue with the Reverend Holbrook serving as rector in 1922; and

WHEREAS, the Episcopal Church of the Advent?s founders were R. Edward Thompson, H. Charlton Lumsden, William H. Thompson, John M. Douthat, Ernest C. Wetzel, Clifford S. Philips, Hillary L. Davis, David Tompkinson, Archie W. Lawrence, Michael Sakakini, and Alfred Russell Williamson; and

WHEREAS, in 1945, the Episcopal Church of the Advent purchased the clubhouse of the old Pinewell Golf Course, and the congregation held services there for 15 years; and

WHEREAS, in 1960, the Episcopal Church of the Advent constructed a new church building at Sherwood Place that was attached to the clubhouse structure, which then became the new Parish Hall; and

WHEREAS, the Episcopal Church of the Advent is known for its numerous excellent outreach ministries that focus on the growth and well-being of the community and its citizens in need; and

WHEREAS, the Episcopal Church of the Advent and its members serve the people of Ocean View, assisting with the food pantry, maintaining free lunch programs for low-income children, volunteering as tutors in the Lighthouse Reader program, sponsoring Boy Scout and Cub Scout troops, and providing space for community meetings such as Alcoholics Anonymous; and

WHEREAS, throughout its long history, the Episcopal Church of the Advent has provided its devoted congregation, its neighbors, and the community with a special place to worship, to help others, and to grow in faith and service; now, therefore, be it

RESOLVED by the House of Delegates, the Senate concurring, That the General Assembly hereby commend the Episcopal Church of the Advent on the occasion of its 50th anniversary in its present location in Ocean View; and, be it

RESOLVED FURTHER, That the Clerk of the House of Delegates prepare a copy of this resolution for presentation to the Reverend Richard W. Budd of the Episcopal Church of the Advent as an expression of the General Assembly's congratulations and best wishes for future success in the church's many ministries.