Virginia International Trade Corporation; established, report. (HB858)
|Signed by Governor|
Virginia International Trade Authority. Establishes the Virginia International Trade Authority to promote international trade in the Commonwealth by coordinating private and public efforts to stimulate the international trade segment of the state's economy and marketing products and services. The bill also requires the Authority to provide to the General Assembly by November 1, 2016, a plan for the establishment of a coalition of organizations providing international trade programs and services in the Commonwealth. Read the Bill »
- 01/12/2016 Committee
- 01/12/2016 Prefiled and ordered printed; offered 01/13/16 16103945D
- 01/12/2016 Referred to Committee on Appropriations
- 01/15/2016 Assigned to sub: Subcommittee Agriculture, Commerce, Technology and Natural Resources
- 01/15/2016 Assigned App. sub: Subcommittee Agriculture, Commerce, Technology and Natural Resources
- 01/15/2016 Assigned App. sub:
- 02/04/2016 Impact statement from DPB (HB858)
- 02/12/2016 Subcommittee recommends reporting with amendment(s) (7-Y 0-N)
- 02/12/2016 Reported from Appropriations with substitute (22-Y 0-N) (see vote tally)
- 02/12/2016 Committee substitute printed 16105464D-H1
- 02/13/2016 Read first time
- 02/15/2016 Read second time
- 02/15/2016 Committee substitute agreed to 16105464D-H1
- 02/15/2016 Engrossed by House - committee substitute HB858H1
- 02/16/2016 Read third time and passed House BLOCK VOTE (99-Y 0-N)
- 02/16/2016 VOTE: BLOCK VOTE PASSAGE (99-Y 0-N) (see vote tally)
- 02/17/2016 Constitutional reading dispensed
- 02/17/2016 Referred to Committee on Finance
- 02/29/2016 Impact statement from DPB (HB858H1)
- 03/02/2016 Reported from Finance with substitute (13-Y 1-N) (see vote tally)
- 03/02/2016 Committee substitute printed 16105996D-S1
- 03/03/2016 Constitutional reading dispensed (40-Y 0-N) (see vote tally)
- 03/03/2016 Read third time
- 03/03/2016 Reading of substitute waived
- 03/03/2016 Committee substitute agreed to 16105996D-S1
- 03/03/2016 Engrossed by Senate - committee substitute HB858S1
- 03/03/2016 Passed Senate with substitute (37-Y 2-N) (see vote tally)
- 03/04/2016 Placed on Calendar
- 03/07/2016 Senate substitute rejected by House 16105996D-S1 (0-Y 96-N)
- 03/07/2016 VOTE: REJECTED (0-Y 96-N) (see vote tally)
- 03/08/2016 Senate insisted on substitute (40-Y 0-N) (see vote tally)
- 03/08/2016 Senate requested conference committee
- 03/09/2016 House acceded to request
- 03/09/2016 Conferees appointed by House
- 03/09/2016 Delegates: Landes, Jones, James
- 03/10/2016 Conferees appointed by Senate
- 03/10/2016 Senators: Ruff, Wagner, Hanger
- 03/10/2016 C Amended by conference committee
- 03/10/2016 Conference substitute printed 16106203D-H2
- 03/11/2016 Conference report agreed to by House (93-Y 5-N)
- 03/11/2016 VOTE: ADOPTION (93-Y 5-N) (see vote tally)
- 03/11/2016 Conference report agreed to by Senate (37-Y 2-N) (see vote tally)
- 03/25/2016 Enrolled
- 03/25/2016 Bill text as passed House and Senate (HB858ER)
- 03/25/2016 Signed by Speaker
- 03/28/2016 Signed by President
- 03/28/2016 Enrolled Bill communicated to Governor on 3/28/16
- 03/28/2016 G Governor's Action Deadline Midnight, Sunday, April 10, 2016
- 04/05/2016 Impact statement from DPB (HB858ER)
- 04/08/2016 Governor's recommendation received by House
- 04/20/2016 Placed on Calendar
- 04/20/2016 House concurred in Governor's recommendation (95-Y 2-N)
- 04/20/2016 VOTE: ADOPTION (95-Y 2-N)
- 04/20/2016 Senate concurred in Governor's recommendation (38-Y 0-N)
- 04/20/2016 G Governor's recommendation adopted
- 04/20/2016 Reenrolled
- 04/20/2016 Reenrolled bill text (HB858ER2)
- 04/20/2016 Signed by Speaker as reenrolled
- 04/20/2016 Signed by President as reenrolled
- 04/20/2016 Enacted, Chapter 749 (effective 7/1/16)
- 04/20/2016 G Acts of Assembly Chapter text (CHAP0749)
This bill was discussed on the floor of the General Assembly. Below is all of the video that we have of that discussion, 9 clips in all, totaling 9 minutes.
This is a transcript of the video clips in which this bill is discussed.SUBSTITUTE.
Del. Bill Howell (R-Fredericksburg): THOSE IN FAVOR SAY AYE. SUBSTITUTE AGREED TO. GENTLEMAN FROM AUGUSTA.
[Unknown]: MR. SPEAKER, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN OF THE HOUSE, HOUSE BILL 858 CREATES THE VIRGINIA INTERNATIONAL TRADE CORPORATION THAT IS CREATED TO CENTRALIZE THE INTERNATIONAL TRADE AND MARKETING EFFORTS THIS LEGISLATION WILL HAVE TO BE REENACTED BY THE 2017 SESSION BEFORE IT WOULD BE FULLY IMPLEMENTED. MR. SPEAKER, I MOVE THE HOUSE ENGROSS THE BILL AND PASS IT TO THIRD READING.
BILL 8, AND ALSO HOUSE BILL 389. AND 1114, MR. PRESIDENT. President: AND YOU'D LIKE TO TAKE THE OTHER BILLS UP, I'D TAKE IT? YES, GO BY FOR THE DAY.
Del. Bill Howell (R-Fredericksburg): President: WITHOUT OBJECTION, HOUSE BILL 8, HOUSE BILL 389, AND HOUSE BILL 1114 WILL GO BY FOR THE DAY.
[Unknown]: Clerk: HOUSE BILL 858, A BILL TO AMEND AND REENACT SECTION OF THE COULD I HAVE AND TO AMEND THE CODE OF VIRGINIA BY ADDING IN CHAPTER 27 A TITLE 2.2 AND ARTICLE NUMBERED 11 CONSISTING OF SECTIONS NUMBERED 2.2-2738 THROUGH 2.2-2741, RELATING TO THE VIRGINIA INTERNATIONAL TRADE CORPORATION. REPORTED FROM THE COMMITTEE ON FINANCE WITH A SUBSTITUTE. President: THE SENATOR FROM AUGUSTA, SENATOR HANGER. I MOVE THE COMMITTEE SUBSTITUTE BE AGREED TO. President: THE QUESTION IS, SHALL THE COMMITTEE SUBSTITUTE BE AGREED TO. ALL IN FAVOR OF THE MOTION WILL RECORD THEIR VOTE AYE; THOSE OPPOSED, NO. THE AYES HAVE IT. THE SUBSTITUTE IS AGREED TO. THE SENATOR FROM AUGUSTA. I CONSIDER THIS -- I MOVE THE PASSAGE OF THIS BILL AND I'D SPEAK TO IT? President: THE SENATOR HAS THE FLOOR. I CONSIDER THIS BILL TO BE A WORK IN PROGRESS. THE COMMITTEE SUBSTITUTE DEALS WITH SETTING UP THE VIRGINIA ENTER NATIONAL -- INTERNATIONAL TRADE CORPORATION, PUTTING A SECTION INTO A SEPARATE AGE. IT'S ANTICIPATED WITH THE PROVISIONS OF THE BILL THAT PORTIONS OF THIS WOULD BE DELAYED UNTIL LATER, IN FACT, THE SUBSTITUTE DELAYS ALL OF IT FOR A COUPLE YEARS, BUT IT WAS ANTICIPATED THAT AN EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR WOULD BE HIRED IN THE INTERIM. SO I WOULD EXPECT THAT THE HOUSE MAY NOT TOTALLY AGREE WITH THE WORK THAT WE HAVE DONE ON THIS BILL, BUT I CERTAINLY WANT TO KEEP IT IN PLAY AND WOULD MOVE BEGIN THAT IT PASS AND WE MIGHT
Del. Steve Landes (R-Weyers Cave): THE SENATE AMENDED THE BILL TO ADD CONVOLUME -- CONVOLUTED CLAUSES. I'M GOING TO ASK YOU TO REJECT THE SENATE SUBSTITUTE.
[Unknown]: SHALL THE SENATE SUBSTITUTE BE AGREED TO?
Del. Steve Landes (R-Weyers Cave): AYE, 0, NO, 96.
Sen. Emmett Hanger (R-Mount Solon): THE SENATE INSIST ON THE SUBSTITUTE AND REQUEST ON A CITY OF CONFERENCE.
[Unknown]: SHOULD THE SENATE ASSIST ON THE SUBSTITUTE AND REQUEST A CITY OF CONFERENCE ALL IN FAVOR OF THE MOTION WILL RECORD THEIR VOTES AYE, THOSE OPPOSED NO. ARE THE SENATORS READY TO VOTE? HAVE ALL THE SENATORS VOTED? DO ANY SENATORS DESIRE TO CHANGE THEIR VOTE? THE CLERK WILL CLOSE THE ROLL.
Sen. Emmett Hanger (R-Mount Solon): AYES 40, NOS 0.
[Unknown]: AYES 40, NOS 0. THE MOTION IS AGREED TO.
Del. Steve Landes (R-Weyers Cave): HAS NOT CHANGED. WE HAD DISAGREEMENT ABOUT WHEN THE TIMING OF HOW AND WHEN THE AGENCY, THE NEW ENTITY, WOULD TAKE EFFECT. THERE IS ACTUALLY MONEY IN THE BUDGET TO IMPLEMENT THIS. MR. SPEAKER AND LADIES AND GENTLEMEN OF THE HOUSE, THE RESOLVE THAT WE FOUND WAS THAT WE WOULD HAVE THE NEW ENTITY TAKE AFFECT IN DECEMBER BUT THAT WOULD OCCUR AFTER A REPORT HAS BEEN RECEIVED FROM THE SECRETARY OF COMMERCE AND TRADE RELATED TO HOW THIS NEW AGENCY WOULD BE ORGANIZED AND IMPLEMENTED. AND THAT INFORMATION WOULD GO TO THE CHAIRMAN OF BOTH THE HOUSE APPROPRIATIONS COMMITTEE AND THE SENATE FINANCE COMMITTEE IN SEPTEMBER, WHICH WOULD GIVE THOSE TWO COMMITTEES DUE TIME TO MAKE SUGGESTIONS OR SUGGEST CHAINS TO THE ADMINISTRATION BEFORE THE LAW WOULD TAKE EFFECT DECEMBER 1. FOR THE ENTITY TO ACTIVE. SO MR. SPEAKER, I HOPE IT WILL BE THE PLEASURE OF THE HOUSE TO AGREE TO THE NEW CONFERENCE COMMITTEE REPORT THAT RESOLVES THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE HOUSE AND SENATE FOR HOUSE BILL 858.
Del. Bill Howell (R-Fredericksburg): SHALL THE CONFERENCE REPORT BE ADOPTED? THE CLERK WILL CLOSE THE ROLL.
Del. Steve Landes (R-Weyers Cave): AYES 93, NOS 5.
[Unknown]: AYES 93, NOS 5.
ITEM 3 DEALS WITH THE GOVERNOR'S TECHNICAL. AMENDMENTS TO GIVE THE CEO OF THE NEW CORPORATION CHARTER SCHOOLS INTERNATIONAL TRADE CORPORATION, THE ABILITY TO HIRE EMPLOYEES, ADOPT REGULATIONS, PROCURE ITEMS AND OTHER FUNCTIONS SIMILAR TO OTHER AGENCIES. FOUR, FIVE AND SIX ARE TECHNICAL. AND THEN IF YOU LOOK ON PAGE 38, 7 IS THE MOST SIGNIFICANT. BASICALLY VERY BRIEFLY, THESE AMENDMENTS ENHANCE THE CORPORATION'S AUTHORITY TO OPERATE AS AN EXECUTIVE BRANCH AGENCY, AS WAS INTENDED BY THE ORIGINAL LEGISLATION. THE AMENDMENTS ALSO ALIGN THE CAPABILITIES OF THIS NEW ENTITY WITH WHAT AUTHORITY THE VIRGINIA ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT PARTNERSHIP AND THE VIRGINIA TOURISM CORPORATION HAVE, AND IF YOU LOOK AT 8, BASICALLY THAT GIVES THE AGENCY THE SAME AUTHORITY AS THOSE ENTITIES. THE OTHER AMENDMENTS ARE TECHNICAL. MR. SPEAKER, I WOULD ASK THAT THE HOUSE AGREE TO ALL 10 AMENDMENTS.
Del. Bill Howell (R-Fredericksburg): Speaker: SHALL THE HOW AGREED TO THE RECOMMENDATIONS OF THE [ BELL ] GOVERNOR?