Prostitution; affirmative defense. (SB131)

Introduced By

Sen. John Edwards (D-Roanoke)

Progress

Introduced
Passed Committee
Passed House
Passed Senate
Signed by Governor
Became Law

Description

Prostitution; affirmative defense. Provides an affirmative defense to prostitution if the person was induced by another through the use of force, threat, intimidation, coercion, or deception to engage in prostitution. Amends § 18.2-346, of the Code of Virginia. Read the Bill »

Outcome

Bill Has Failed

History

DateAction
12/29/2015Prefiled and ordered printed; offered 01/13/16 16101788D
12/29/2015Referred to Committee for Courts of Justice
02/01/2016Impact statement from DPB (SB131)
02/03/2016Passed by indefinitely in Courts of Justice (15-Y 0-N) (see vote tally)

Video

This bill was discussed on the floor of the General Assembly. Below is all of the video that we have of that discussion, 1 clip in all, totaling 39 seconds.

Transcript

This is a transcript of the video clips in which this bill is discussed.

THE SENATOR FROM ALEXANDRIA, SENATOR EBBIN.

Sen. Adam Ebbin (D-Alexandria): THANK YOU, MR. PRESIDENT. WOULD THE SENATOR FROM RUSSELL YAELD FOR A QUESTION?

[Unknown]: THE SENATOR YIELD?

Sen. Adam Ebbin (D-Alexandria): I YIELD.

[Unknown]: HE YIELDS, SENATOR. THANK YOU, MR. PRESIDENT. I'M BY NO FLEENS AN EXPERT IN THIS AND BARELY CAN UNDERSTAND THE BILL. I WAS JUST WONDERING, FOR EXAMPLE, IT COULD BE ANYWHERE, BUT ON LINE 116, IT SAYS IF YOU'VE BEEN MARRIED FIVE YEARS BUT LESS THAN SIX YEARS, YOU RECEIVE JUST 30% OF THE ESTATE OF YOUR SPOUSE AND I WAS WONDERING, WHERE DOES THE OTHER 70% GO IF YOU DON'T HAVE CHILDREN OR WHAT WOULD HAPPEN? THE SENATOR FROM RUSSELL.

Duplicate Bills

The following bills are identical to this one: HB679.

Comments

ACLU-VA Women's Rights and Reproductive Freedom, tracking this bill in Photosynthesis, notes:

The ACLU of Virginia supports this bill.