Senator Ben Chafin (R-Lebanon)
- 38: Bland County (All), Buchanan County (All), Dickenson County (All), Russell County (All), Tazewell County (All), Smyth County (Part), Wise County (Part), Pulaski County (All), Norton City (All), Radford City (All), Montgomery County (Part) [map]
- Took Office
- September 2014
- Next Election
- November 2019
- Agriculture, Conservation and Natural Resources, Commerce and Labor, Courts of Justice, Campaigns and Elections
- Copatroning Habits
- 83% of bills he copatroned were introduced by Republicans. Of all of the copatrons of his bills, 78% of them are Republicans. Of all of the copatrons of all of the bills that he also copatroned, 62% of them are Republicans.
- Tag Cloud
- Bills Passed
- 50% in 2017
November 21, 2017
Roanoke Times: Editorial: How Dominion's pumped storage project began
November 19, 2017
Bluefield Daily Telegraph: Lawmakers urge McAuliffe to apply for federal grant funding for the Coalfields Expressway
October 13, 2017
June 4, 2017
May 16, 2017
These are all of the video clips of Ben Chafin’s remarks on the floor of the Senate since 2014. There are 28 video clips in all.
- SB365: Prioritization of statewide transportation projects; exceptions.
- SB886: Gas severance tax.
- SB887: Prioritization of statewide transportation projects; exceptions.
- SB888: Civil immunity; emergency services and communications.
- SB889: Concealed handgun permit fees; exemptions; retired probation and parole officers.
- SB890: Ignition interlock; time for installation.
- SB891: Perpetual care trust funds; method of distribution.
- SB944: Institutions of higher education; possession and administration of epinephrine.
- SB968: Hunting license; bear, deer, or turkey; electronic carry.
- SB969: Legislative drafting requests.
- SB1106: Made in Appalachia Initiative; refundable tax credits.
- SB1175: Workers' compensation; employer's lien, third party actions.
- SB1176: Nonexoneration of debts on property of decedent; notice to creditor and beneficiaries.
- SB1177: Surviving spouse's elective share; homestead allowance benefit.
- SB1178: Buprenorphine without naloxone; prescription limitation.
- SB1179: Opioids; workgroup to establish guidelines for prescribing.
- SB1180: Opioids and buprenorphine; Boards of Dentistry and Medicine to adopt regulations for prescribing.
- SB1217: Negotiable instruments; statute of limitations.
- SB1233: Temporary detention; certified evaluators.
- SB1237: Housing authorities; authorization by governing body of town.
- SB1257: Two-way video testimony; forensic analysis and examination.
- SB1265: General Services, Department of; maintenance of property records.
- SB1289: Natural gas utilities; qualified projects, investments in eligible infrastructure.
- SB1290: Prisoners; orders permitting to work on public works projects.
- SB1291: Well permit applications; disclosure of trade secrets.
- SB1292: FOIA; trade secrets submitted to the Department of Mines, Minerals and Energy.
- SB1418: Electric utilities; costs of pumped hydroelectricity generation and storage facilities.
- SB1444: Restricted firearm ammunition; use or attempted use in the commission of a crime, penalty.
- SB1446: Insurance agent licensing; motor vehicle rental contract enrollers, etc.
- SB1469: Alcoholic beverage control; disposable containers.
- SB1470: Coal tax; limits aggregate amount of credits that may be allocated or claimed for employment, etc.
- SB1489: Workers' compensation; presumption that death or disease due to coal pneumoconiosis.
- SJ432: Commending the Virginia Department of Forestry.
- SR106: Commending the Graham High School competition cheer team.
- SR107: Commending Tom Harding.
- SR108: Celebrating the life of Ralph Edmond Stanley.
- SR119: Commending the Lebanon High School softball team.
- SR131: Commending the Virginia Department of Forestry.
- SB21: Clean Power Plan; state implementation plan; General Assembly approval.
- SB181: Augmented estate; elective share of surviving spouse.
- SB182: Local gas road improvement & Virginia Coalfield Economic Development Authority tax; use of revenues.
- SB268: Animal disease violations; criminal and civil penalties.
- SB269: Social Services, State Board of; amends requirements governing composition of membership.
- SB362: Virginia Public Procurement Act; small purchase procedures; transportation-related construction.
- SB364: Health insurance plan; Department of Human Resource Management to consider all participants.
- SB365: Prioritization of statewide transportation projects; exceptions.
- SB366: Real property tax; exemption for disabled veterans and spouse of a service member killed in action.
- SB374: Financial institutions; references to federal law.
- SB674: Tazewell, Town of, charter; filling vacancies for mayor or town council, etc.
- SB675: Health insurance for local employees.
- SB691: Industrial hemp; lawful for a person with a license to manufacture products or engage in research.
- SB706: FOIA; record exclusion for trade secrets submitted to Department of Mines, Minerals and Energy.
- SB707: Failure to appear; service of process.
- SB718: Coal tax; limits aggregate amount of credits.
- SJ83: Medicaid fraud cases; DMAS, et al., to study conferral of authority to local departments.
- SJ108: Commending Harry Taft Rutherford, Jr.
- SJ135: Commending the Town of Tazewell.
- SJ175: Celebrating the life of Lydia Marie Kiser.
- SJ209: Celebrating the life of the Honorable Thomas Jack Bondurant, Sr.
- SB858: Breaks Interstate Park; employees being commissioned as conservation officers.
- SB859: Open-end lending by banks, savings institutions, etc.; determining grace period.
- SB860: Creditor; satisfaction of judgment required to be noted.
- SB861: Nurse practitioners.
- SB862: Medical malpractice proceedings; health care providers, expert testimony.
- SB863: Virginia Public Procurement Act; small purchase procedure for construction.
- SB864: Cemeteries; access when located on private property.
- SB865: Intestate estate; administration by person convicted of fraud, misrepresentation, robbery, etc.
- SB866: Health insurance; school board allowed to elect to have employees & retirees to receive state plan.
- SB867: Battery against certain local social services workers; penalty.
- SB868: Water or sewer systems; delinquent payment of rates and charges.
- SB1240: Transient occupancy tax; Bland & Russell Counties added to list of counties authorized to impose.
- SB1308: Gas severance tax; extends sunset provision to December 31, 2018.
- SB1334: Electric utilities; cost recovery.
- SB1348: Motorcycles, off-road, and all-terrain vehicles; fees collected by DMV to be deposited in a fund.
- SB1366: Coal mine safety; wide tracking and electric equipment shall maintain safe operating conditions.
- SB1367: Trails; allocation of federal funds for establishment and maintenance.
- SB1452: Creation of the Uniform Fiduciary Access to Digital Assets Act.
- SJ254: Clean Water Act; opposition.
- SJ294: Carbon dioxide emissions; regulation of existing power plants, withdrawal of federal guidelines.
- SJ317: NASA's Wallops Flight Facility; environmental impact statement.
- SR57: Commending Haysi High School football team.
- SR58: Commending Honaker High School football team.
- SR59: Commending Castlewood High School.
- SR60: Commending John I. Burton High School.
- SR61: Commending Eastside High School.
- SR67: Commending Jill Branham.
- SR68: Commending the Richlands High School football team.
- SR83: Celebrating the life of Robert Barns Brittain.
- HB358: Banks; interstate branching.
- HB359: Jurisdiction; custody and visitation arrangements for minor children, definitions.
- HB360: General receivers; reimbursement of expenses incurred for direct out-of-pocket expenses.
- HB385: Misdemeanors, certain; expungement of police and court records.
- HB393: Judgment; payment required to be noted by creditor, penalty.
- HB394: Suit for personal injury; report from health care provider licensed outside of Commonwealth.
- HB956: Elections; filings by candidates and political parties.
- HB1014: Coal mine safety; reciprocal agreements with other states.
- HB1163: Trails; allocation of federal funds for establishment and maintenance.
- HB1164: Speed limits; increases speed limit on Route 23 and Route 58.
- HB1261: Carbon dioxide; regulating emissions.
- HJ430: Commending the Honorable Joseph Pickett Johnson, Jr.
- HJ5140: Celebrating the life of Ralph Cummins.
- HR92: Commending Castlewood High School.