Delegate Matthew James (D-Portsmouth)
- 80: Cities of Chesapeake (part), Norfolk (part), and Portsmouth (part) [map]
- Took Office
- January 2010
- Next Election
- November 2017
- Agriculture, Chesapeake and Natural Resources, Appropriations, Health, Welfare and Institutions
- Copatroning Habits
- 62% of bills he copatroned were introduced by Democrats. Of all of the copatrons of his bills, 71% of them are Democrats. Of all of the copatrons of all of the bills that he also copatroned, 50% of them are Republicans.
- Tag Cloud
- Bills Passed
- 18.2% in 2016
- Campaign Contributions
- cash on hand (December 1969 report)
James is the president of a regional workforce development organization. He holds a bachelor's degree in economics from Hampton University and an MBA from Northwestern University. He is married with two grown daughters.
13newsnow.com: Lawmakers brainstorm fixes for toll problem
March 24, 2017
Suffolk News-Herald: Legislators report gifts, travel
March 17, 2017
Thenewjournalandguide: Social and Civic Whirl: Oakmont Community Development Corp. Honors William 'Bill' Goines
March 23, 2017
Pacific Daily News: Public safety roundup
March 18, 2017
March 8, 2017
These are all of the video clips of Matthew James’s remarks on the floor of the House since 2010. There are 45 video clips in all.
- HB1591: Virginia Economic Development Partnership Authority; site and building assessment program, etc.
- HB1592: Comprehensive community colleges; academic credit.
- HB1624: Host Cities Economic Development Incentive and Host Cities Transportation Support Funds.
- HB2392: Virginia Public Procurement Act; preferred procurement method for construction.
- HJ580: Study; JLARC; impact of state-owned ports on local governments; report.
- HJ846: Commending the Sentara Nightingale Regional Air Ambulance program.
- HR324: Celebrating the life of Donald Fitzgerald Reilly.
- HR400: Celebrating the life of Jean Felton Sharpe.
- HR401: Celebrating the life of Frank Thaddeus Vaughan, Sr.
- HB411: Unemployment compensation; part-time employment.
- HB414: Toll violations at all-electronic toll facilities; administrative fees and period of nonpayment.
- HB792: Virginia Pathway to Middle Class: Noncredit Workforce Credentials Act; established, report.
- HB793: Academic credit; industry credentials.
- HB802: Veterinary technicians; supervision, reporting of animal cruelty.
- HB1263: Small, Women-owned, and Minority-owned Business Loan Fund; Va. Small Business Financing Authority.
- HB1337: Local fiscal stress; task force appointed by Governor to review state mandates imposed on locality.
- HB1351: Virginia Sports Hall of Fame.
- HJ77: Study; CTB to study reduction or elimination of tolls on Midtown-Downtown Tunnels in Hampton Rds.
- HJ78: Resolution; encouraging employers in the Commonwealth to pay their employees a living wage.
- HR65: Commending the 2016 inductees into the Virginia Sports Hall of Fame.
- HB350: Enterprise zones; expands criteria for designation.
- HB1756: Tourism zones; tax revenues for tourism projects.
- HB1757: Small, Women-owned, and Minority-owned Business Loan Fund; established.
- HB1758: Portsmouth, City of; appointment of board of zoning appeals.
- HB1759: Arrest without warrant; procedures.
- HB1760: Hampton Roads Transportation Accountability Commission; local representation.
- HB1761: Portsmouth, City of; amending charter, election of mayor and city council members.
- HB1842: Performance and incentive grants; review of incentive packages, report, repeals certain provisions.
- HB1843: Green job creation tax credit; extends sunset provision to January 1, 2018.
- HB1844: Major business facility; job tax credit to spread over two years per qualified full-time employee.
- HB1874: Value engineering; separate study/report not required for certain projects.
- HB2244: Electric utilities, certain; updated integrated resource plans.
- HB2293: Value engineering; report shall not be required for certain projects.
- HB2310: Toll violations; increased access to DMV records & other enhanced means of collection of penalties.
- HJ750: Celebrating the life of James Clement Van Pelt, Sr.
- HR201: Commending the 2015 inductees into the Virginia Sports Hall of Fame.
- HB346: Public-Private Transportation Act of 1995; additional requirements for certain agreements.
- HB347: Income tax, state; deduction for payment of certain tolls.
- HB348: Governor's Development Opportunity Fund; expands eligibility for grants.
- HB349: Public-Private Transportation Act of 1995, etc.; comprehensive agreements.
- HB350: Enterprise zones; expands criteria for designation.
- HB351: Downtown Tunnel Construction Relief Grant Fund; established.
- HB966: Real estate tax; appointment of special commissioner in Portsmouth to execute title to real estate.
- HB968: Brownfield properties; changes definition of bona fide prospective purchaser.
- HB1194: Small Business and Supplier Diversity, Department of; establishment of state purchasing program.
- HJ5059: Commending the Commonwealth Tourism Development Financing Program.
- HR12: Commending the 2014 inductees into the Virginia Sports Hall of Fame.
- HR505: Commending the I.C. Norcom High School boys' basketball team.
- HB1960: Board for Contractors; necessity for license, commissioning of public works of art.
- HB1961: Charter; City of Portsmouth.
- HB1962: Jails; court can adopt regional jail until it can obtain adequate facility.
- HB1963: Income tax, state; deduction for payment of tolls in qualified locality.
- HB1964: Voluntary economic growth-sharing agreements; Port of Va. Economic and Infrastructure Develop Zone.
- HB1965: Portsmouth Port and Industrial Commission; annual report of financial performance.
- HB1966: Enterprise zones; permits locality to apply for status based on distress factors in area.
- HB1967: Virginia Jobs Investment Program; eligibility for assistance.
- HB1968: Governor's Development Opportunity Fund; expands eligibility for grants.
- HB1969: Contractors, Board for; necessity for license, commissioning of public works of art.
- HB2087: VA Jobs Investment Program; moves administration of Program to VA Economic Development Partnership.
- HB2097: Career Pathways System Advisory Council; established, report.
- HB2258: Public-Private Transportation Act of 1995, etc.; review of proposals.
- HJ674: Constitutional amendment; restoration of civil rights (first reference).
- HJ675: Tolls; joint subcommittee to study how VA can mitigate impact on State's disadvantaged citizens.
- HR111: Commending the 2013 inductees into the Virginia Sports Hall of Fame.
- HR130: Tolls; General Assembly to recognize need for mitigation measures for disadvantaged populations.
- HB839: Defective drywall; redefines term.
- HB840: Charter; City of Portsmouth.
- HB841: Major business facility job credits & enterprise zone job creation grants; not allowed for same job.
- HB842: Business license or land use authorization, local; conditions of issuance.
- HJ127: Nonviolent felony offenders; VSCC to determine best use of resources for helping those released.
- HB996: Education, Secretary of; name changed to Secretary of Education and Workforce Development.
- HB1284: Distribution of handbills, etc., on highways; gives local government power to regulate and prohibit.
- HJ304: Commending the Historical Truxtun Civic League.
- HJ371: Commending Zion Baptist Church on the occasion of its 145th anniversary.
- HJ425: Commending the Cavalier Manor Police Community Relations Advisory Committee.
- HR39: Commending the I.C. Norcom High School boys' basketball team.