Delegate Matthew James (D-Portsmouth)
- 80: Cities of Chesapeake (part), Norfolk (part), and Portsmouth (part) [map]
- Took Office
- January 2010
- Next Election
- November 2019
- Agriculture, Chesapeake and Natural Resources, Appropriations, Health, Welfare and Institutions
- Copatroning Habits
- 62% of bills he copatroned were introduced by Democrats. Of all of the copatrons of his bills, 71% of them are Democrats. Of all of the copatrons of all of the bills that he also copatroned, 50% of them are Republicans.
- Tag Cloud
- Bills Passed
- 22.2% in 2017
- Campaign Contributions
- cash on hand (December 1969 report)
James is the president of a regional workforce development organization. He holds a bachelor's degree in economics from Hampton University and an MBA from Northwestern University. He is married with two grown daughters.
December 15, 2017
Washington Post: Anne Arundel and Howard County home sales
December 13, 2017
Richmond.com: Virginia jail investigator, policy analyst envisioned in reform bill started work this week
November 15, 2017
December 1, 2017
Bradenton Herald: Real estate transactions: Dec. 11, 2017
December 10, 2017
These are all of the video clips of Matthew James’s remarks on the floor of the House since 2010. There are 45 video clips in all.
- HB1591: Virginia Economic Development Partnership Authority; site and building assessment program, etc.
- HB1592: Comprehensive community colleges; academic credit.
- HB1624: Host Cities Economic Development Incentive and Host Cities Transportation Support Funds.
- HB2392: Virginia Public Procurement Act; preferred procurement method for construction.
- HJ580: Study; JLARC; impact of state-owned ports on local governments; report.
- HJ846: Commending the Sentara Nightingale Regional Air Ambulance program.
- HR324: Celebrating the life of Donald Fitzgerald Reilly.
- HR400: Celebrating the life of Jean Felton Sharpe.
- HR401: Celebrating the life of Frank Thaddeus Vaughan, Sr.
- HB411: Unemployment compensation; part-time employment.
- HB414: Toll violations at all-electronic toll facilities; administrative fees and period of nonpayment.
- HB792: Virginia Pathway to Middle Class: Noncredit Workforce Credentials Act; established, report.
- HB793: Academic credit; industry credentials.
- HB802: Veterinary technicians; supervision, reporting of animal cruelty.
- HB1263: Small, Women-owned, and Minority-owned Business Loan Fund; Va. Small Business Financing Authority.
- HB1337: Local fiscal stress; task force appointed by Governor to review state mandates imposed on locality.
- HB1351: Virginia Sports Hall of Fame.
- HJ77: Study; CTB to study reduction or elimination of tolls on Midtown-Downtown Tunnels in Hampton Rds.
- HJ78: Resolution; encouraging employers in the Commonwealth to pay their employees a living wage.
- HR65: Commending the 2016 inductees into the Virginia Sports Hall of Fame.
- HB350: Enterprise zones; expands criteria for designation.
- HB1756: Tourism zones; tax revenues for tourism projects.
- HB1757: Small, Women-owned, and Minority-owned Business Loan Fund; established.
- HB1758: Portsmouth, City of; appointment of board of zoning appeals.
- HB1759: Arrest without warrant; procedures.
- HB1760: Hampton Roads Transportation Accountability Commission; local representation.
- HB1761: Portsmouth, City of; amending charter, election of mayor and city council members.
- HB1842: Performance and incentive grants; review of incentive packages, report, repeals certain provisions.
- HB1843: Green job creation tax credit; extends sunset provision to January 1, 2018.
- HB1844: Major business facility; job tax credit to spread over two years per qualified full-time employee.
- HB1874: Value engineering; separate study/report not required for certain projects.
- HB2244: Electric utilities, certain; updated integrated resource plans.
- HB2293: Value engineering; report shall not be required for certain projects.
- HB2310: Toll violations; increased access to DMV records & other enhanced means of collection of penalties.
- HJ750: Celebrating the life of James Clement Van Pelt, Sr.
- HR201: Commending the 2015 inductees into the Virginia Sports Hall of Fame.
- HB346: Public-Private Transportation Act of 1995; additional requirements for certain agreements.
- HB347: Income tax, state; deduction for payment of certain tolls.
- HB348: Governor's Development Opportunity Fund; expands eligibility for grants.
- HB349: Public-Private Transportation Act of 1995, etc.; comprehensive agreements.
- HB350: Enterprise zones; expands criteria for designation.
- HB351: Downtown Tunnel Construction Relief Grant Fund; established.
- HB966: Real estate tax; appointment of special commissioner in Portsmouth to execute title to real estate.
- HB968: Brownfield properties; changes definition of bona fide prospective purchaser.
- HB1194: Small Business and Supplier Diversity, Department of; establishment of state purchasing program.
- HJ5059: Commending the Commonwealth Tourism Development Financing Program.
- HR12: Commending the 2014 inductees into the Virginia Sports Hall of Fame.
- HR505: Commending the I.C. Norcom High School boys' basketball team.
- HB1960: Board for Contractors; necessity for license, commissioning of public works of art.
- HB1961: Charter; City of Portsmouth.
- HB1962: Jails; court can adopt regional jail until it can obtain adequate facility.
- HB1963: Income tax, state; deduction for payment of tolls in qualified locality.
- HB1964: Voluntary economic growth-sharing agreements; Port of Va. Economic and Infrastructure Develop Zone.
- HB1965: Portsmouth Port and Industrial Commission; annual report of financial performance.
- HB1966: Enterprise zones; permits locality to apply for status based on distress factors in area.
- HB1967: Virginia Jobs Investment Program; eligibility for assistance.
- HB1968: Governor's Development Opportunity Fund; expands eligibility for grants.
- HB1969: Contractors, Board for; necessity for license, commissioning of public works of art.
- HB2087: VA Jobs Investment Program; moves administration of Program to VA Economic Development Partnership.
- HB2097: Career Pathways System Advisory Council; established, report.
- HB2258: Public-Private Transportation Act of 1995, etc.; review of proposals.
- HJ674: Constitutional amendment; restoration of civil rights (first reference).
- HJ675: Tolls; joint subcommittee to study how VA can mitigate impact on State's disadvantaged citizens.
- HR111: Commending the 2013 inductees into the Virginia Sports Hall of Fame.
- HR130: Tolls; General Assembly to recognize need for mitigation measures for disadvantaged populations.
- HB839: Defective drywall; redefines term.
- HB840: Charter; City of Portsmouth.
- HB841: Major business facility job credits & enterprise zone job creation grants; not allowed for same job.
- HB842: Business license or land use authorization, local; conditions of issuance.
- HJ127: Nonviolent felony offenders; VSCC to determine best use of resources for helping those released.
- HB996: Education, Secretary of; name changed to Secretary of Education and Workforce Development.
- HB1284: Distribution of handbills, etc., on highways; gives local government power to regulate and prohibit.
- HJ304: Commending the Historical Truxtun Civic League.
- HJ371: Commending Zion Baptist Church on the occasion of its 145th anniversary.
- HJ425: Commending the Cavalier Manor Police Community Relations Advisory Committee.
- HR39: Commending the I.C. Norcom High School boys' basketball team.